Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: just-plain-bad, kat-s-book-reviews, kat-s-rants, ya-pnr-maddness
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: The world. A very gender confused world.
Recommended for: Insomniacs... no, sorry, even then it's too cruel.
Read from July 04 to 07, 2010, read count: 1

I started reading this book and a curious thing happened. Suddenly my house was sparkling clean, my bills were filed away, I started playing Farm Story and reached level 13 in one day, I did my tax, I spent two hours chatting to the chatbott, Jabberwocky...Anything, and I mean ANYTHING to avoid the boredom of reading Shiver. Shiver, the story of a girl drastically into beastiality, only to find out her wolf lover was really a boy. As I read this book I had the strange urge to lock up my German sheppard should Grace ever decide to visit my home because she really does fall in love with a dog... for YEARS before she ever finds out it's a boy or that things like werewolves exist. I can't even begin to express how creepy her obsession with a wolf is.

I get the whole eternal love thing. Perhaps Stiefvater was trying to show that Sam and Grace's connection transcends all the things love actually isn't supposed to transcend. Maybe I'm just weird and completely unromantic, but I've never looked at Fido and found a kindred spirit. I never passed a dog down the street and found that I couldn't be attracted to men because they just weren't going to cut it for me anymore.

So, other than the fact that this book disturbed the fucking hell out of me, bored me to death and dragged on like a visit to the old folk's home, it was also poorly edited. The writing wasn't TOO bad. Some of the poems were down right rubbish, and some of the others were alright.

Grace and Sam's voices were near identical. Oh, and another thing, Sam was annoyingly chaste for way too long. Where were all of these careful, thoughtful boys when I was in high school? It's a disturbing trend, really. Edward Cullen, Sam Roth, Daniel Gregori... they all came pre-pussy whipped and I'm kind of wondering what the attraction is.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for bad boys. Maybe I like boys that I COULDN'T imagine comfortably playing bridge with my 80 year old grandma (not to mention enjoying it!) What is with the sudden need to keep us women in line? If I read one more paranormal, male hunk refuse the supposed love of his life, who is literally flinging her naked body onto him, then I think I'm going to start a convention... a Ball Replacement Convention.

C'mon, Stiefvater! Give the boy his balls back, please! He complained that a jacket made him look bulky! He wrote a poem about a leaking womb! What teenage boy doesn't shudder at the thought of menstrual blood? What next? Chipped nail, PMS cramps? Is he going to stamp his foot and mutter, "Drat! I can't believe Jennifer is wearing the same dress as me! I think I might just die!"

Look, I know I'm being incredibly sexist. After all, it was kind of nice to read about a "stoic" female character and an emotional, gentle male character. But Sam felt and read far too much like a middle aged woman and not like a teenage boy. I didn't feel like he was well characterized or fleshed out enough.

So all in all, I can't muster the energy to rant about this book. It was REALLY boring. It was average on the writing scale. It's secondary characterization was pretty good but the main characters didn't do it for me. The plot was SLOW.

Her parents were stupid. I could complain that they were unrealistic - but I've met some fucked up parents over my life, so I'll buy that they really could be that moronic. What I will complain about is where they get this amazing and varied social life in a small town. It never explains why Sam's fate is mysteriously different to Jack's. Maybe I'm just stupid... No. I don't buy that. Was it because he was out in the freezing cold so it kept his temperature reasonable? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of giving him a crazy-ass fever? Was it actually because he processed it as a wolf? Well that doesn't make sense because Grace never changed.

And what's with the dramatic ending? Really? He gets cured and goes home and gets dressed and reads a few books, checks his mail, gives himself a mani and a pedi, goes on a diet, waits for his skin to clear up, buys the perfect set of shoes and THEN tracks down the love of his life who he thought he'd never see again? I DON'T FUCKING THINK SO! How about stumbling through the forest naked and desperately arriving in Grace's backyard because he can't believe the complete miracle of his cure and can't wait to have the love of his life back in his arms? Yeah, that ending makes so much more sense.

I don't get why this is popular. But then, I don't get why Fallen is popular either. It's just all beyond me. Now I'm off to see if I can cram the word "balls" into this review anymore.

Balls, balls, balls. Oh my goodness she fell in love with a dog! Balls.

Balls.

This review can also be found on my blog, Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

07/05/2010 page 70
18.0% "Save me."
07/06/2010 page 213
54.0% "Why?! Oh why?! *Collapses in tears*" 5 comments

message 1: by AH (new) - added it

AH How are you liking this? It seems to be either a love/hate book.

message 2: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry I must I admit I hated it so I am totally hoping for a review a la Fallen here! LOL!

Kat Kennedy Ha! Um, how am I liking it? Do I have to answer that? :P

Bry, we'll see but I think you're going to be disappointed. There's the kind of bad books that ellicit swearing and raging on my part, and then there's the bad books that I throw in the trash, move on and completely forget about. This is the latter.

message 4: by AH (new) - added it

AH I was so looking forward to a rant.

Kat Kennedy :( I'll see if I can muster my energies but I have a cold right now so my rant would go something like this:

"And THEN Stiefvater pulls out the ultimate -achu!- -sniffle--sniffle- -nose wipe- betrayal of the...errr... -sneeze!- something... -nose wipe- ... Ah fuck it! *Goes back to bed*"

message 6: by Bry (last edited Jul 06, 2010 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Kat wrote: ":( I'll see if I can muster my energies but I have a cold right now so my rant would go something like this:

This review would probably end up being my second favroite review here! LOL! Although Fallen was MUST WORSE than this book. This one was super disappointing but much more forgettable.

Kat Kennedy Haha! You crack me up, Bry!

message 8: by AH (new) - added it

AH OK, not going to get to this any time soon. Have a lot of way better stuff to read. Loved your review...I might need to find a boring book so that my house will get cleaned.

Tatiana LMAO!
Are you willing to get to know another 30-year old woman in a body of 16-year old boy? If yes, try Beautiful Creatures.

Kat Kennedy I remember reading your review of that! I think I'll give it a skip - at least for now! I dont' know how many more horrible books I can take ATM! First Summoning, then Fallen and now Shiver. My brain is going having serious trouble!

message 11: by AH (new) - added it

AH You need to take a break from YA books. But if you feel that you need to continue --

Blood and Chocolate -- I found this a good take on the teenage werewolves.

Kat Kennedy Well, I'm reading Alanna The First Adventure - but that's supposed to be good. Then The Forgotten Garden. Hopefully these two will get me out to the paranormal/Urban Fantasy genre at least. But I will give Blood and Chocolate a try! Thanks for the rec!

Zosia, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, I'm really over the many variations on Twilight. I know this was written first but it's just so similar.

Kat Kennedy I'm actually really glad you enjoyed it, Jillian. I didn't mind it by the end so much but you know me when I start on a rant, I just can't stop!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist wow Kat, what can I say? I just love you :D
I'm about to start this right now, and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I've seen 1-star reviews and I've seen 5-star.
Who's right?!
Now I actually like chaste boy love interests (I seem to have the opposite problem from you, I see too many bad boys - maybe I should send them your way, lol? :P) BUUUUUUT you are absolutely right about needing different voices. I like good boys, but they still need to be boys, and the examples you gave out of the book (of things the guy says) sound really effeminate. I haven't read it yet, but thanks to you I'll have my "girlydar" detector up!

Elisa (Just a Hunch Book Blog) Tatiana, your comment about Ethan seriously made me laugh out loud. And that's coming from someone who actually mildly enjoyed Beautiful Creatures.
(And great review Kat!)

message 16: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Totally NOT disappointed! LOVED IT! Seriously! From the locking up your dog, to the boy's being pre-pusssy whipped to the wonderfully gratuitous use of BALLS. Wonderfully funny and totally true to the book review!

BALLS. (I'm still giggling!!!!)

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Dude, let me see if I have this straight: this is a romance about a girl that falls in love with a dog, that is really a human boy in disguise? Are there sex scenes while he's in his dog body?

If it weren't for you telling me it was boring, I'd be tracking it down right now. Bad I can deal with, but boring sounds. . . boring. Yes. Balls.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha!

balls.

message 19: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Michael wrote: "Dude, let me see if I have this straight: this is a romance about a girl that falls in love with a dog, that is really a human boy in disguise? Are there sex scenes while he's in his dog body?

..."

Actually there aren't any sex scenes. Even when he is human and they are sleeping in the same bed together night after night after night (all without the parents realizing the girl basically has a live in boyfriend).

message 20: by AH (new) - added it

AH Sounds a little Twilighty, no? (Or wait, don't all YA novels have this sleepover theme lately?)

Tatiana They do have sex though (both in human form), eventually. A fade into black affair.

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael "They do have sex though (both in human form), eventually. A fade into black affair."

Fail. Total fail.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

i originally gave this book three stars because i didnt dislike it as much as i thought i was going to. and then i realized what a sad, sad way of critiquing books that is.

message 24: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Oh I forgot about the fade to black affair. Lame.

Kat Kennedy As Tatiana said, they do actually have sex - just to prove to us that he apparently has balls, but they're human.

Ariel - I know what you mean! I've actually done that before too.

Balls.

Balls!

Misty =D

I can't make my smile any bigger than that. If I could, I would.

message 27: by Jessie (new)

Jessie R Think I will give this book a miss. I read twilight as a recommendation from my mother. HUGE mistake considering she usually only reads mills and boon..
I spose at least of the dude was a dog throughout the book you wouldn't have been subjected to the endless, "Edward is SOOO handsome" and "Edward is soo beautiful.". Balls..

Joanna Kat,
Thanks for your review. It was better than the whole book put together :-D.

message 29: by Rae (last edited Aug 23, 2010 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rae Kat,

LoL...

This review WAS on the point...and I agree with Joanna, this review is better than the book...at least the review made me laugh...

I thought I had a problem with the book (since it was HIGHLY recommended) because I'd been reading adult romance books and this one is YA, but it's good to see that I was not the only person frustrated at the fact that Sam's character is more feminine than I am...(and my friends call me a high maintenance girl)!.

Rae

Brandi ;) I can't stop laughing! I agree with those above, your review was SOOOO on point about this book. I couldn't understand the doggyluv either, it drove me crazy through the whole thing, I just chalked it up to her parents. They weren't there or didn't care enough to teach her about real human love so she turned to the hungry stalking wolves in her back yard. No wonder she didn't scream when they dragged her off her swing and tried to eat her, she thought it was love. Idiot. Anyways, your review is fabulous, I can't wait to read more :)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh come on. Cut it some slack. It's not as nad as FALLEN!

Kat Kennedy No, it's not as bad as Fallen but I didn't enjoy it and thus the rating.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

WHY? It's a sweet book!
Or it's just the phase I'm going through, dunno...

Kat Kennedy Well, I was really bored for starters -this book didn't keep my attention. I think I discussed most of it in my review but the characterization and plot were pretty unimpressive for me.

message 35: by Penny (last edited Aug 30, 2010 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny Why, for the love of all that is holy, did you read this book? Did you not read Heather's review? How about Tatiana's? And mine?

Well, you can't say you weren't warned. So I really don't feel sorry that you killed all those braincells, wasted all that time. And yes, at least we got another amusing review out of it, so I'd say it was worth it.

But still, what possessed you?

P.S. You should read Blood & Chocolate. It's probably one of the better teenage werewolf books. But please, don't ever watch the movie. It's superbad, and not in a good way.

Kat Kennedy Haha Penny! You know me - when someone asks me to read a book I just can't turn them down!

So on a scale of 1 to 'kill-me-now!' how bad do you think Evernight will be? It's next up!

message 37: by Penny (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny I started reading Evernight once. It was similar to Fallen (sort of) so I quickly flung it away from my body and purchased something better to read.

Tatiana So, Kat, contemplating reading Evernight, aren't you? I haven't read it myself, but after reading its reviews I decided to save myself some sanity. What's next on your list? House of Night?

I'll be waiting for your assessment of these paranormal YA masterpieces.

message 39: by AH (new) - added it

AH Blood and Chocolate was a really good book.
I suspect that you won't like Evernight. I liked it, but the rest of the series drove me bonkers.

Misty I'm about to be unpopular here, but Blood and Chocolate was awful. Some good parts, definite potential, but no. Just no.

message 41: by Annalisa (last edited Aug 30, 2010 10:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa Don't read Evernight! Okay, it wasn't as bad as Fallen, but the author still tricks and manipulates you. I hate that. Beautiful Creatures is pretty bad too.

Kat Kennedy Annalisa - it's Anila's fault! She sent me a book rec because she wants to read another rant!

Misty - I don't think sharing a negative opinion about about round us ever made anyone unpopular! I mean, T didn't like Stolen and I still obsessively stalk her!

message 43: by AH (new) - added it

AH Annalisa wrote: "Don't read Evernight! Okay, it wasn't as bad as Fallen, but the author still tricks and manipulates you. I hate that. Beautiful Creatures is pretty bad too."

What a great description of Evernight. We called it "The plot twist that shall remain unnamed...."

Are you curious yet, Kat?

Misty True. You know, I got Stolen a couple months back (signed!), but I still have yet to work it in. I think I'm going to try to read it come November/December. You know, something nicely warped and depressing for the holidays...
;p

Joyzi WTF this is so funny

message 46: by Patrisha (new) - added it

Patrisha I liked this a lot. I agree cheke out my reveiw, have you ever read Firelight? Worst book ever but still better then SHIVER! I didn't even finish the book!

message 47: by Cas (new) - rated it 1 star

Cas Aha, ya I read Firelight. I was so hyped up around the book and it just fell flat . . . I was quite upset. She's a really bad writer . . .

message 48: by Penny (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny I forgot how much I love this review. Work of art. My favorite part? Well there's several, but this one made me spit all over my computer screen:

C'mon, Stiefvater! Give the boy his balls back, please! He complained that a jacket made him look bulky! What next? Chipped nail, PMS cramps? Is he going to stamp his foot and mutter, "Drat! I can't believe Jennifer is wearing the same dress as me! I think I might just die!"

P.S. I love the offensive review you posted in Tatiana's comments. Awesome.

Kat Kennedy Haha! Thanks. Well, if they're going to complain about the way Tatiana expresses herself, I thought I'd give them an example of how Tatiana COULD express herself if... well, you know, she was less sophisticated or PC. You know, like me!

What is with the trolls lately? You and T can't seem to cop a break. I mean, I'm happy because for once, they're leaving me alone!

message 50: by AH (new) - added it

AH Kat, maybe they are leaving you alone because you are not reading YA books right now?

« previous 1 3 4 5