Carlin Hauck's Reviews > The Invisible Bridge

The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer

Feb 09, 11

Read in July, 2010

I'm trying to remember if a book has ever made me cry this hard. The Book Thief, maybe.

As I assured my little brother when he crawled out of bed to make sure I was okay, I wouldn't be so upset if I didn't like the book. I only cry for characters that I love. My dog, who actually came to my aid before my brother, didn't seem to care what I was reading. He just climbed up onto my bed and snuggled up next to me and licked my tears away.

The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer begins in 1937 with 22-year-old Andras Levi departing Hungary for Paris to study architecture after securing a scholarship at the Ecoles Speciale. By chance, he is asked to carry a letter with him to France, addressed to C. Morgenstern, with whom he begins a rather complicated relationship as everything in Europe begins to disintegrate.

Okay, I'll admit this first: I have never heard anything about the Hungarian Holocaust before. I don't think I ever even realized that Hungary was involved in World War II. In school, you hear a lot about the French occupation and the Warsaw ghetto, but not a word about the devastation that was brought on Hungary too. Hungary, whose leaders allied themselves with Germany, and then enslaved their Jewish men and forced them to fight for the Nazi army while their wives and children back home were murdered.

Back to the story. The Invisible Bridge pulled me in to Andras's life in Paris. His mentors and friends and loves and enemies. The entire first half of this 600 page tome was hardly a light story, but it wasn't yet a description of the indescribable horrors that would come later. It reminded me almost of Anna Karenina, the way that the every day life of the characters was so fleshed out. They became real. You could understand the souls of these fictional characters.

By the time the events of second half of the story were unfolding in their horrifying detail, I was too invested in the lives of the characters to stop reading. I did, I admit, put the book down for hours at a time, too afraid to keep reading for what might happen, but I always went back and pressed onwards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Bridge.

07/01/2010

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan I love your review....don't even care much what it's about, as long as I get a good cry and maybe my kitties will come snuggle with me!! Thanks Carlin!

Helene Matyi I, too, cried my way through this book...I recommend it to everyone who loves a good book!

Sayantan Debray I truly accept what you said in your review Carlin. This is one book which made me cry the hardest.

Sharyl One of the most heartbreaking scenes, I thought, was when Andras and Tibor are on the same train, being sent off together to endure more hard labor, and their parents find them, and pass them extra food, etc., through the bars. So, they get to say good by, but don't realize that this is the last time they'll see them. Yes, I was bawling.

message 5: by Dorcas (new) - added it