Paul's Reviews > Darwin's Children

Darwin's Children by Greg Bear

Jul 27, 10

Read from July 06 to 27, 2010, read count: 1

Greg Bear's style is clear and engaging, which really works for me. Darwin's Children seemed to have a more surreal feel to it than Darwin's Radio though. He dives into the difficult realm of trying to describe sensations that readers most likely have no analogue to. In that sense, the experience of reading this book less sharp and harder to interpret. Maybe less entertaining, but more thought provoking.

There were some things about the book that were a little off for me. I didn't really get what the point of the encounters of the presence of someone else within the self that were woven in with Kaye and some others. Maybe it's a setup for another sequel, but it didn't seem to contribute to this story at all. It also seemed like a lot of characters that were important to the story never got enough detail to solidify much for me. Maybe that's a side effect of the fast-paced style of the book, and that it maybe took me a while to remember much about the characters from the first book.

Overall the subject matter is wonderfully interesting and I enjoyed the read, but I wish I had read the version that wasn't edited down removing some of the detail that might have made the story more complete for me. But who knows, maybe those details never existed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darwin's Children.