Margaret Oneal's Reviews > The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle

Jul 03, 10

Well I had just finished the Grapes Of Wrath and I was in dire need of some fluff... so, since the movie was out, Robin Hood seemed to be the ticket. At first I wasn't too sure about it... it seemed so annoying, but the more I read, the more I loved it. I think I fell in love with the language: Shakespeare Lite. It was elegantly written... and yet I didn't get a headache trying to decipher the meaning of every sentence. Halfway through the book, I realized I had read a comic book! A really elegant one. It was such a hoot! All Robin and the Merry Men care about is humming ale and beating somebody with a cudgel. It was hilarious reading this against the backdrop of Hollywood movies where the heroes always win their battles... and yet in Robin Hood, sometimes he wished he'd stayed at home LOL.

I don't read books twice, but I'd read it again just to enjoy those beautiful sentences.

And btw, the movie wasn't anything like the book and was somewhat annoying. Oh well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood.

message 1: by Chandelle (new)

Chandelle Does he meet and fall in love with Marian? I'm not sure I want to read it if there isn't a love story.

Margaret Oneal No, it reads like a group of short stories. It's comedy and it's hilarious! It's not the sort of book I generally read either, but I was so glad I did. It's like Dumb and Dumber, the movie or something like that. Robin and his friends are a bunch of aimless punks and they just keep picking on the wrong people, etc. It's such a hoot. Give it a chance!