Amanda's Reviews > Bones of Faerie

Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner

Sep 05, 10

bookshelves: ya
Read from July 14 to 18, 2010

I loved, loved, loved the concept for this book. Janni Lee Simner's young adult debut has an incredible setting: a post-apocalyptic America caused by a war with Faerie. The two worlds are linked, and both are nearly destroyed in the war, but there are other consequences no one foresaw. Now the children are developing magic of their own as some twisted side-effect of the war, and Liza's town has strict rules about magic.

After her father leaves her magical baby sister out to die and her mother disappears without a word, Liza realizes she has magic of her own, and she runs away in order to survive. There's a nice, cute boy who chases after her and the two eventually end up on an adventure, along with a girl named Allie and Liza's cat Tallow, looking for Liza's mom, who they believe is in Faerie.

What I didn't love: the author's prose. I liked most of it, I really did, but the way she handled the visions kept dragging me out of the story. It's a personal preference, and I just didn't care for the style. Here's a non-spoilery example so you know what I'm talking about:

I looked into the glass and I saw---

A man doing something---

A young girl running---

Other things always followed by a long dash---

Like I said, nothing major and totally subjective, but I didn't like it and it really took away from the book for me. There was also a bit of distance between me and the characters. I cared about what happened to them but I didn't really connect with them; though I did almost cry at one point, but that would be a spoiler.

Anyway, the premise and the setting alone were amazing enough to keep me turning pages. I was curious to know what happened to Faerie, what was happening to the rest of the world, and about the connections between certain characters. I will admit that my favorite character was Caleb, even though he doesn't get nearly as much attention as I'd like. He was a very interesting character. All in all it's a great addition to YA fantasy and a very original faerie story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bones of Faerie.

07/17/2010 page 148