Joy's Reviews > Love in the Afternoon

Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas

2711937
Jul 06, 10

bookshelves: lisa-kleypas, historical-romance, ebooks
Recommended for: lisa kleypas fans and people who haven't read her works yet
Read from July 04 to 05, 2010 — I own a copy

NOTE: This reminded me of Julia Quinn's "To Sir Phillip, With Love" because their love story developed through correspondence, and it also reminded me of Gaelen Foley's "Lord of Ice", because the hero Damien Knight is also a war veteran and a celebrated hero in England. He suffers from PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) that the clanging of spoons and forks, or a wine bottle being opened would trigger his senses. Although the two books have parallelisms in this story, Love in the Afternoon offers a new flavor of its own.

I loved this book from the first until the last page. The first two Hathaway books are still my favorites, but I enjoyed this one as well. I felt the passion, the heartache, and I connected with Beatrix. Her feelings were excellently written I felt it first-hand - and that's why Lisa Kleypas stays solidly #1 at the top of my list.

Beatrix is the most intuitive and perceptive Hathaway. There were a lot of instances that she sees everything simply and crystal clear, while others don't seen what's in front of them. She's also the simplest, and most eccentric, and not in a bad way. I didn't understand her being a kleptomaniac but when I read her story, I did. She's very innocent and intelligent, her charms attracted some eligible men, but they don't want her bad enough to be cut off from their inheritance. No one in the whole series could surpass her great love of animals, and I like how she views the world in rose-colored glasses, and how she compares people with animals. One couldn't help but be taken with her, especially Christopher, although things didn't start well between them.

Christopher Phelan is an alpha male through and through, it's a man's weakness to fall for a pretty face like Prudence, who cares naught for him. His letters were amusing and LK wrote them with great clarity, I especially loved the one with a sketch of Albert. I felt like an intruder reading their love letters to each other, but weird as it sounds, I felt how Beatrix did when reading them. There's an excitement, the anticipation of when the next one arrives, and while witnessing the inevitable feelings growing between them, I felt giddy like a schoolgirl seeing her crush. However, all good things must come to an end.

Knowing that she's deceiving herself and Christopher, Beatrix decided to put a stop to their correspondence and sent the wrong letter instead. Things got interesting when battle-hardened and soul-scarred Christopher searched for Prudence, and found she's not the woman who wrote the letters. It's a big blow to be played at, and to find out the reason for living and going back home is only interested in your inheritance and medals.

It's only a matter of time before Christopher realizes it's Beatrix who wrote the letters, and he vowed to Audrey he would marry the woman who wrote them. With the amount of time Christopher and Beatrix spent together, I thought he'd figure it out sooner, like how Beatrix takes mint with her tea, how she loves long walks, and naming her mule "Hector", like Christopher's when he was a boy.

It's understandable that Christopher is suffering from PTSD, the guilt gnawing at him everyday, but I didn't like it when he said he was against the match. It seemed his love wasn't strong enough, and he wasn't strong enough to trust Beatrix and how she could heal him. Although it was resolved in the end, I felt he didn't really redeem himself. I wish Ms Kleypas wrote his improvement, but at least the happy ending is an open one. Again, Hathaways are the best and I'm hoping there's a novella to follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Afternoon.