Bryan Alexander's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: sf
Read in April, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eingang (new) - added it

Eingang I'm just working through this as unabridged audio. I hadn't read "Oryx and Crake" or even realized they were linked until reading a review earlier tonight on LibraryThing.

Bryan Alexander I'm ambivalent about _Oryx_. Would like to hear your thoughts about _Flood_.

message 3: by Eingang (new) - added it

Eingang "After the Flood" is the first piece of fiction I've read that includes complete songs as music tracks--at least in the audio version. The various lyrics from "The God's Gardener Hymnbook" have been put to music. Coincidentally, I just started Picoult's "I'll Sing You Home" and it too includes vocal tracks. I understand Picoult's book comes with a CD. I'm not sure about "After the Flood". It just strikes me as odd that I've read thousands of books and then suddenly there are two with accompanying music woven into the narrative.

Of course, now that I think about it, various books in "The Lord of the Rings" featured bits of music and the BBC Radio adaptation put the snippets sort of to music, but this is on a much larger scale. This has orchestration, some engineering, and sometimes multiple singers. They're also complete songs, not just a short verse or two. This is particularly evident in the Picoult one where songs can be what feels like a few minutes long.

What does this say about the books themselves? Not much. :-D. Then again, I haven't finished either one, so we shall see. I did, however, think it was worthy of comment.

Bryan Alexander That is unusual.