stormhawk's Reviews > Code Triage

Jul 25, 10

bookshelves: recommended-by-friends, pre-publication-galley
Recommended to stormhawk by: Candace Calvert
Read from July 22 to 25, 2010

I had the good fortune of being able to read an advance review copy of Code Triage. I have thoroughly enjoyed Candace Calvert's previous books in this series, and the latest entry holds up to the same standard I'd set for the others.

You see, I don't read Romances. Ever.

And I particularly don't read Inspirational Romances.

But I do love Candace Calvert's novels. She takes the reader through despair and hope, fear and joy, anticipation and dread with a deft hand. Her characters and situations feel real, and mainly are people you would love to meet and become friends. She doesn't shy away from difficult topics, such as infidelity, and doesn't insist that resolutions be perfect. Just as in the first novel of the series, Critical Care, she teaches as well as entertains, offering accurate information about Critical Incident Stress Management.

Each book of the series, so far, has been set in a different hospital, but there is a character from one that carries you to the next. Doing so provides a cohesion among the stories, one that is not necessary to writing these medical dramas, but one that eases the transition, and helps to engage with both the next and the previous works. I'm looking forward, in fact, to the fourth installment ... I have two guesses on the focus character, and can't wait to find out if I'm correct.

At their heart, Ms. Calvert's books are about healing. On the surface, the settings are hospitals, and there's a whole lotta healing going on, but that's only a metaphor for the deeper healing that takes place in the course of the story, the healing of self, of relationships, and of relationships with God. Her characters struggle, they fall down, they achieve, they triumph.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Triage.