Bryan's Reviews > Them: Adventures with Extremists

Them by Jon Ronson

M_50x66
Jul 03, 10

An interesting, easy read you will not be able to put down!: This was an intriguing book: half a book on a conspiracy theory, half an objective analysis of people considered on the fringes on society.

Throughout the book, the author tries to track down the secret group of elite leaders who run the world... huh? While its true that Ronson does indeed find bizarre secret rituals and ceremonies during his search of the rulers of the world, I never really found myself buying into the theory, but it is an odd thread connecting different worlds he explores.

I especially enjoyed reading his experiences with Omar Bakri, the jolly Jihadist who jokes with the author about whipping him and condemning him to hell and the pleasant, Woody Allen-esque leader of the KKK. People who share hateful views and are reviled by the general public can be affable and even comical when described by the author.

One note about the book: you should be up to date on your current events. It's better to have a background on the who's who in each chapter than to blindy dive in. This was a very fun and quick read, whatever your views. I think most people would enjoy this book. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Them.