Lorenzo Berardi's Reviews > Proud to be a Mammal

Proud to be a Mammal by Czesław Miłosz

May 16, 12

bookshelves: polish, 2012, a-my-english-library
Read in May, 2012

This is a collection of essays and writings by Czeslaw Milosz with a colorful cover and assembled with a clear commercial purpose by Penguin.
Well that's better than nothing, I guess.

Perhaps I should have picked up "The Captive Mind" by the same author rather than this one, but while facing the decision I confess how the pinkish cover of this book with its leaning belltower in Vilnuis won me over. I thought I needed some sort of lightweight Milosz introduction.

"Proud to Be a Mammal" had a very promising start with a couple of essays in which the author recalls his early bohemian and literary life in Polish Wilno (currently Lithuanian Vilnuis) and his runaway to Warsaw while his hometown was annexed to the Soviet with a bogus referendum.
Milosz has a very engaging style and a soft spot for the vanished Wilno/Vilnuis cast of characters, stressing out the cultural and cosmopolitan mood of the town in the 1930s.
The way of writing here reminded me a couple of other self-biographies: "Speak Memory" by Nabokov and "Polish Memories" by Witold Gombrowicz.

Also the following pages are very interesting with Milosz talking about the bureaucratic oddities and the terror of living in "the GG" a term which stands for "General Government" the part of Poland ruled by Germans after the Nazi invasion and the Molotov-Ribbentropp pact.

Overall, 155 pages of "Proud to Be a Mammal" are pure gold. At least for me. Unfortunately, the remaining 120 pages of this collection of essays and written thoughts are not at the same level.
Perhaps it's just me looking for something different and thus skipping over most of the letter to the author Jerzy Andrzejewsky and being not really elated from all that follows it included the essay naming the book itself "Speaking of a Mammal".

I think the publisher made a little mess here mixing up disjointed writings in order to have a thicker book. I believe that less and more carefully chosen stuff would have made a better introduction to Milosz.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Proud to be a Mammal.