Jennifer's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Jul 03, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: classics, first-read-in-adulthood, not-recommended, so-bad-i-died-a-little
Recommended for: nobody. ever.
Read in March, 2011

hated this book. hated it. and i don't use that term lightly. the endless witticisms, the decadence, the tossing people around and using them, blaming others for problems, everything. quite literally, this book nauseated me, and that's not just the morning sickness talking.

from dorian "i'm easily corruptible and then take it to extremes" gray to artistic spokes"man" henry wotton to the ridiculous idol-worshipping masses, there are no role models, no sympathetic characters, no redeeming qualities. nothing.

i honestly can't decide what to do with my copy. i'm afraid if i give it to the library, others will read it, and i'm not sure i can have that on my conscience.

i'm sure there will be those who disagree with me, but i stand by my opinion. ugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.

message 1: by Casey (new)

Casey Harris Hee hee. "Not just the morning sickness talking"...classic Jen writing! Glad I've never read this book, now that I've gotten the definitive review on it...Do you want me to destroy all copies of this book at my local library to save the populace? :)

Jennifer to be fair, brenda adores the book. i suppose it takes all kinds of people to read books.