C Allen's Reviews > The Girls from the Revolutionary Cantina: A Novel

The Girls from the Revolutionary Cantina by Mike Padilla

U_50x66
Jul 03, 10

This is an excellent book. I do not agree with other reviewers at all regarding the book having too many subplots. Not at all. The book is character driven at the beginning; our heroine Julia has foibles like everyone we know, and she is kind and compassionate – someone you’d like to know and won’t soon forget. The pace is good and builds nicely, pulling the reader into the story. We do not initially know what is driving some of the characters – providing some satisfying tension in the story. But these small mysteries are resolved not by strange plot twists, but by revelations that ring true and further ground the novel and friendships. Forays into slightly more outlandish plot twists are nicely kept off to the side, adding humor and flavor, but not uprooting the story and characters into farce. I feel the main story is not just about Julia’s relationships with her friends and her man - although those bits are good and the bones of the book – but about the way Julia sees herself and grows. And yes, while there is some selfishness among characters, there is generosity and compassion and good times – and maybe even some some growing up. There is some soul behind the going-ons in this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls from the Revolutionary Cantina.