Vangelicmonk's Reviews > The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

Jul 03, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I read this book as part of an online book club. The book club was a failure, but the book was a good read. I enjoyed it. It isn't exactly what you expect it to be. Although King does seem a little off beat in portraying a girl at this age with her mindset of that time, I don't think it is too off the mark. The cultural references of 1998 are funny and interesting. However, the best part of the book is Trish's philosophical and theological struggle in understanding who God is by nature if it is God she wants to pray for at a critical time in her life. Being lost in the woods she wonders if she is praying to an "active" God who her favorite player Tom Gordon points to after closing out a game. Or is it the God her father believes in who is the "subaudiable" or passive God who just watches. The conclusion at the end is that the God of Tom Gordon does exist and is active, but the "subaudiable" god also exists as the wasp god or creature that is stalking her in the woods. It seems that King used this story to almost set out his idea or view of God's nature. Moreover, he touches on our actions. When we confront the boogie man and not become our own worst enemy buy running, but instead stand up to the false God, then God will be there with us in that battle.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.