Erin's Reviews > The Book Thief

F 50x66
Jul 03, 2010

it was ok
Read from July 03 to 22, 2010

Overall, I'm pretty mixed about this book. On one hand, I felt a soft spot for some of the characters (Rudy, Hans, and Max), but didn't find a whole lot of interest in the main character, Liesel. The plot, while interesting enough, felt pretty slow, and I felt like the 500 pages or so could've either been shortened or spent better. The ending was satisfying, but I probably would've quit early on if this wasn't required reading.

One problem I had was with the writing style; the character of Death did nothing for me, and I felt some words or phrases weren't really used for repetition but rather lack of creativity or a case of 'forgetting you already said that'. (examples; I KNOW Liesel is a girl. I KNOW she's a "book thief". If there are really so many instances of 'the (noun) (verb)ing casually against/from the (noun)', why is it worth noting roughly 6 to 8 times throughout the book?) And to put it simply, I just sensed a vague pretension (especially in the annoying little bold notes in between every few paragraphs) and feigned eloquence in the writing that just got a tad unbearable at times.

All that being said, maybe there's something I'm just not seeing in this book, because there are a lot of great reviews on it, and hey, I'm not saying I'm any kind of authority on storytelling myself, but I just thought it was pretty average and very young adult-y, too much so to really be a 'classic' of any kind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.