Lindsay's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

Jul 03, 2010

bookshelves: classics, young-adult-literature
Read from July 03 to 06, 2010

I finally read this book! It has been on my bookshelf for years and I have seen the movie countless times. Overall, I was surprised at how similar the book was to the Disney movie--both are very strange. To be honest, I was actually quite happy I had seen the movie first. The book is an easy read, but it is inherently confusing and fragmented. Having the movie in the back of my mind helped me better orient events and characters in the story.

I really enjoyed this book though. The third person omniscient narrative was delightful! Alice was the main narrator, but I laughed out loud in certain sections when Lewis Carroll included witty lines in parenthetical asides. Considering the book purely on its entertainment (fluffy fiction) value leaves me wanting more--which is probably to be expected with such a random and strange plot. However, when I think about the novel's deeper implications I am amazed at Carroll's ability to write such an intriguing novel in the context of children's fiction.

The novel is fragmented and askew suggesting the randomness of life. I have read so many novels during my undergraduate English classes that discuss the meaninglessness and obscurity of life--not one of the novels has been as delightful as this one. Following the conventions of most other young-adult-fiction (or perhaps as a predecessor of this trend), this book is a coming of age novel which explores Alice's loss of innocence and her maturity. This book questions the importance and the reality of knowledge and truth. It also questions cultures--what is expected and accepted in one culture may not carry over to another culture.

Overall, the book was great because it left me thinking about its deeper meanings and themes. It's not necessarily a joy read or something that I would pick up at the beach, but it was fulfilling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.