Caroline's Reviews > The Waste Land and Other Poems

The Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. Eliot

Aug 27, 10

bookshelves: classics, poetry, nook, read-in-2010, nook-own
Read on August 27, 2010

On the plus side of this, the entire time reading it I could hear Nick Cave narrating the poetry, for whatever reason. Something about the tone of "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" evoked good old Nick Cave for me, and it stuck throughout this collection. I wish that, alone, would have sold me on loving it (instead, now I'm listening to my collection of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds on shuffle).

Sadly, despite some really amazing imagery and lines, I found this collection largely to be unintelligible, random and just not cohesive enough for me to really enjoy much of it. Not my style of poetry. It figures: I have a long-standing grudge against the majority of modernist art (with some exceptions) because it never clicks with me, so I imagine this is just an extension of that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waste Land and Other Poems.

08/27/2010 page 1

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angypants (new)

Angypants Seriously? Nick Cave narration? Why hasn't he released an audio version of this?

Caroline Well, Nick Cave doing an audiobook of anything would be cheaty, since people like me would snatch it up, even if the book itself was terrible.

message 3: by Angypants (new)

Angypants Bible...? ;)

Meredith I'm midway through the book. But your suggestion to read it in Cave's voice has improved it greatly!