Blarneygirl's Reviews > Frozen Fire

Jul 19, 2010

did not like it
Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** *WARNING! MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!*

I feel really disappointed with this book. The writing style is excellent, and 3/4 of the way through I was hooked and interested, and I loved the atmosphere. The relationship between the 15 y/o girl protagonist and her father was refreshingly not cliche. The girl encourages her father to date after the wife/mom walked out, and as a general rule lets him lean heavily psychologically on her shoulder.

But then I began to notice times when the character would be 'stuck' in a scene where she couldn't get away (this is especially near the end) and then she does escape from a scene, and she 'floats'. Why is this happening? How is this happening? Is it even real? It seems like a lame trick to pull out of the bag to ditch a scene that can't be dealt with.

And then the author never explained or even hinted at WHAT the boy was, WHY the boy was there, WHY the boy wandered from place to place, or even WHY he conveniently disappeared at the end of the book, because-plot wise, the boy-o had to go.

And then the ending of the book. The main character (Dusty, the 15 y/o girl) proceeds to have at least five melt downs, and her parents scoop her up every time even though she keeps wandering off (which, by the way, she has no logical reasoning for this other than that it's the only thing keeping the plot going). And in the end, she finds out what happened to her brother, the strange boy magically disappears forever, her mom comes back, and the parents are rosy. To me, the ending is a slapdash hasty attempt at finishing a novel.

Sigh, I so wanted this book to end well. I really did love the writing style and some aspects of it-but not enough of those pros outweighed the cons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frozen Fire.