Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > The Mermaid's Mirror

Jul 06, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-2010, want-paperback
Read from July 02 to 06, 2010

What brought me to read "The Mermaid's Mirror" by L. K. Madigan was the magical-looking cover. It seemed middle-grade, and even now it sits in my mind between middle-grade and YA, as the novel would be relatable to both parties. Anyway, the beginning was very quiet for me, very slow. I did not want to give up, as I had faith that it would pick up, and it did. After Lena, the protagonist, begins surfing, the action and "magic" began to arise, and it was by then that I knew that I was in for something special.

I can't be certain about grammar, spelling and language, since I was handed an advance readers copy from Netgalley, but I shall mention this. Madigan, at times, implemented in her sentences phrasings that didn't quite work well together, or just felt a bit awkward. Nevertheless, this did not really affect the actual story.

The setting and the people that inhabit it seem laid-back and pretty chill, and that works, because this place is a surf-y place. Lena's family- her parents, Brian and Allie, and brother Cole- constitute a loving family, although unconventional (and Lena points this out at one time, but relaxes as she discovers many of her peers have stranger family trees) as her mom isn't really her mom-- her real mom died when Lena was only four years old. At least that's what her father tells her.

While a mermaid story isn't entirely new, the concept was refreshing and enjoyable. I found myself tearing several times throughout the book, which is always a good sign. This book hits on loss and grief, deceit and betrayal, family, friends where one truly belongs, and whether that is really where they want to be. I was half satisfied with the ending, but I'm left wanting more, even though everything was pretty much tied up nicely. To me, the book's ending had a sort of "Spirited Away" (Hayao Miyazaki) feel to it, which is good. I loved Spirited Away, and it remains one of my favourite films to date.

Rating: 4/5
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid's Mirror.

07/04/2010 page 54