Dawn's Reviews > Mrs. Mike

Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman

Aug 12, 12

Recommended to Dawn by: Barbara T.
Recommended for: Wendy, Kathy, Rose, Laura, Kate, Amy
Read in May, 2012

I can see why this book is a classic. It is certainly deserving of its reputation. It's the story of a teenage girl and the Canadian Mounty whom she marries, and their life together in the harsh but beautiful Canadian wilderness. The story is a saga which approaches epic at times, but also contains tender, individual details. The main characters are noble, by which I mean honorable, moral, brave and good. They are also very human and experience tragedy, loss and depression, as well as joy.

I like that the story is based on real people and events. I appreciate the mostly sympathetic portrayal of Native Americans. In some ways, some of the attitudes are a bit dated, but the book was written at least 60 years ago and relates events from 100 years ago, so it is quite enlightened for its time. I like the humor that is laced throughout-- it's quite funny at times! Note to self: remembering to have a sense of humor is the best way to live life. Sometimes all you can do is choose to laugh so you won't cry!

The wilderness itself is a major character in the book. It is very atmospheric. Thanks to my parents, I've had some experience with loving wilderness myself, so that aspect spoke to me. (I don't like cold though, so I wouldn't want to move to Canada. Iowa is plenty, thanks!) The book had a definite impact on me which I won't forget. I had to stop reading for a bit after one very sad part, but I knew it would be rewarding to finish the book. It makes me thankful for my blessings and for the sacrifices previous generations made before me. It enlarges my heart toward others. It is inspiring and moving. This is a book I want to own and to pass on. I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Mike.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Granny Babs (new)

Granny Babs When I was in the 6th grade, my friend Marguerite rushed up to me one day, waving this book in her hand, and telling me she had just read the best book ever and I had to read it!

I have read it multiple times - and always love it! I will be interested to know what you think. I believe its staying power comes from real emotions and experiences, reflected in some pretty good prose.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth This is one of Grandma Wesel-Frost's favorite books,along with Girl of the Limberlost.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I read it many many many years ago and remember loving it. My mother led a book review of it before leaving Calkins Rd and I bought a copy about that time. It is now sitting in the pile of things to take to Mammoth.

message 4: by Granny Babs (new)

Granny Babs Glad you liked it - I have never had anyone I recommended it too not love it too! The movie version though is pretty bad - don't ever watch it!

message 5: by Dawn (last edited Aug 13, 2012 09:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Kathy wrote: "I read it many many many years ago and remember loving it. My mother led a book review of it before leaving Calkins Rd and I bought a copy about that time. It is now sitting in the pile of things t..."

I have been thinking of hosting this book for my book group, so I'm glad to hear that Grandma Wesel did that, too. Knowing that she loved it makes me feel close to her. I've never read Girl of the Limberlost either, though I've heard of it. I want to read that, too, now--thanks!

message 6: by Vilo (new)

Vilo read it four or five times. there's a sequel also

Dawn Yes, I read about a couple of sequels. They were written much later and didn't sound as good, so I think I'll probably just stick with the original. Did you read a sequel, Vilo? If so, what did you think?

message 8: by Vilo (new)

Vilo I cannot remember the name of the book I read, and the ones I can find on the internet don't sound like it. I did like the one I read although it was not as good as Mrs. Mike. I remember one character had pleurisy! I'd never heard of it before.

Dawn I was actually diagnosed with pleurisy as a complication of bronchitis once while we lived in Columbus. Not fun! They gave me Tylenol with Codeine which sort of knocked me out. I started improving after about a week, but I was sick for at least two weeks.

message 10: by Vilo (new)

Vilo I'm so sorry! Imagine pleurisy before antibiotics . . .