Nicole's Reviews > Sizzling Sixteen

Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich

F_50x66
Jul 02, 10

Read in July, 2010

I really had not planned to read this book, as I was so disappointed in 15. But I dumbed into it at Target 30% off and it eneded up in my cart. When I started reading some of the reviews on Amazon, I started to regret my decision, but as I had already bought it, I plowed through. The first third of the book was pretty lame. Old jokes and the same goofy mis-steps we've seen Stephanie do in all the other books. I also get really bored with Evanovich's need to give the driving directs for every fricken place Stephanie goes. I don't care, please get on with the plot.

Fortunatily, the plot, the humor and the sexual tension came back strong in the last 3rd of the book. I counted 5 laugh out louds and one really good scene with Ranger. Evanovich even took a small stab at Stephanie reflecting on her life a little bit. Not as much of Ranger or Stephanie growing up as I would have liked to have seen at this point in the series, but it was an improvement.

I would love to know the time line for this series. Ages were given in the first few books, but she stoped after that and now makes references to relative ages instead. The only signs of time passing are the changes in wardrobe from t-shirts and biker shorts to t-shirts and jeans, to girl cut stretch t-shirts and jeans. As hamsters only live 2-3 years, are we to believe that all 16 stories plus the inbetween the numbers books have all happened in that time or are Stephanie's parents constantly sneeking in and replacing Rex?

Note to Evanovich: I would still like to see Stephanie do more growing up (even if it needs to go horribly wrong to still be funny)or the "I only have two bullets in the gun I hate to carry" humor is going to continue to thin. There also needs to be more action in her love life and quit adding new men to the mix to try to delay a decision between Morelli and Ranger. It's been 16 plus books, you cannot milk this any more, it's time for some action!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sizzling Sixteen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna jane evonivitch, herself, said that stephanie doesnt age. she just stays at 30, i guess. but if thats the case, she needs to stop giving specific times, so she can claim all 16 books take place in the same year.

Nicole Thanks Anna, that's good to know, I've never paid any attention to author interviews and such. I have to admit, I don't really see the point in creating a character that never changes or grows (at least long term, the first several books were really good)but at least now that I know that I know what to expect.