Kelly's Reviews > The Prince of Tides

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

Jul 13, 10

bookshelves: fiction, southern-charm, moving, dramatic, lit
Read in January, 2010

I can't remember the last time I felt this torn; I hated the characters for being so selfish with their affections, so cowardly in their confrontations, the cruelty shown when the moment was theirs for the taking. What I hated more was when the victim on the receiving end - and, to be fair, it always rotates - would rise up in anger, but then crumble to their knees in love and forgiveness.

And that's also why I loved them. In one moment they felt so betrayed, so dishonored by blood and by love. Then would wait five minutes, and forgive them because of who they were..family. The parents who brutalized but also showed beauty, the siblings that both threw each under the bus and saved them from it, and the hometown that treated them like nothing more than low-rent scrubs. And all those in-betweens: the hits, the tragedies, the shining moments, the crimes so unspeakable it leaves the reader wondering if there really is God...they stream in and out of life, the yellow & red threads in life's tapestry.

I've read other reviews on this book, and I think 75% of them got it wrong. While the location is in South Carolina, and the southern culture itself becomes a character in it, that town feeling, that family feeling - that can be anywhere.

And finally, even had I not been utterly entranced by Conroy's writing style, I never would have wished for one page less.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince of Tides.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maggie Unger a beautifully written review!

Kelly Thanks!