Kelly's Reviews > The Prince of Tides

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

Jul 02, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, southern-charm, moving, dramatic, lit
Read in January, 2010

I can't remember the last time I felt this torn; I hated the characters for being so selfish with their affections, so cowardly in their confrontations, the cruelty shown when the moment was theirs for the taking. What I hated more was when the victim on the receiving end - and, to be fair, it always rotates - would rise up in anger, but then crumble to their knees in love and forgiveness.

And that's also why I loved them. In one moment they felt so betrayed, so dishonored by blood and by love. Then would wait five minutes, and forgive them because of who they were..family. The parents who brutalized but also showed beauty, the siblings that both threw each under the bus and saved them from it, and the hometown that treated them like nothing more than low-rent scrubs. And all those in-betweens: the hits, the tragedies, the shining moments, the crimes so unspeakable it leaves the reader wondering if there really is God...they stream in and out of life, the yellow & red threads in life's tapestry.

I've read other reviews on this book, and I think 75% of them got it wrong. While the location is in South Carolina, and the southern culture itself becomes a character in it, that town feeling, that family feeling - that can be anywhere.

And finally, even had I not been utterly entranced by Conroy's writing style, I never would have wished for one page less.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince of Tides.

01/31/2016 marked as: read

Maggie Unger a beautifully written review!

Kelly Thanks!

Charlotte I think that is one of the reason I loved the book. The characters were real - just like people we know. Flawed and ever changing but I still think Conroy stuck to basic character flaws and personality quirks. It is one of those things that I find common in a book written in the narrator POV. If it was all written in first person POV you might have a better understanding of the motivation of all the characters but since we saw it from Tom's POV - we could only go by what he saw or understood.