Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Winnie Flies Again

Winnie Flies Again by Valerie Thomas

Jul 24, 10

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Recommended for: children who need glasses or who know children who wear glasses; Winnie & Wilbur fans
Read on July 24, 2010

I’d read Winnie the Witch and loved it, and want to read as many Winnie books as I can find. Unfortunately, many are not available. I’ve found only two others; this is one of them.

This story about Winnie and her cat Wilbur is funny, fun to read aloud, has a great layout (sometimes you have to flip the page to read the text and see the 2 page picture layout, and it’s a great story for kids who need to wear glasses. Winnie can’t seem to find any mode of transportation that doesn’t lead to disaster, especially for poor beloved Wilbur, until she goes into a shop to order some tea, tea and a muffin for herself and a saucer of milk for Wilbur the cat. That misstep leads to a solution for her and for Wilbur too.

The illustrations are hysterically funny, and they make the story much more amusing. They’re so colorful and intricate and interesting. I love the illustration that’s on the inside front and back covers; it’s a beautifully colored picture of Winner with Wilbur on her broomstick with a black background.

Winnie and Wilbur are wonderful characters; they’re both very endearing.

There is nothing scary about these books, so they’re good “witch books” for kids who are fearful. They’re also great for anybody with a sense of humor who enjoys likeable cats and witches.

I’m waiting for a third title, and then hope to find some way to read more books in this series.

If I had kids at home, I would buy these books.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winnie Flies Again.

Lisa Vegan Abigail, That's the one that I have on reserve, and yes, only those 3 are available to borrow. I simply can't buy them. I'm buying Mockingjay (2 copies if needed to get one right on 8/24) and I'll buy a few cookbooks and I just bought The School at the Chalet, but I really "can't" buy many books, and I have no excuse to buy children's picture books right now, not even Patricia Polacco's.