Bookaholics's Reviews > Masked by Moonlight

Jul 02, 10

Masked by Moonlight by Nancy Gideon
Paranormal Romance –May 25th, 2010
4 stars

Masked by Moonlight by Nancy Gideon is an enjoyable romance with paranormal, suspense, and police procedural elements.

Detective. Charlotte Caissie of the New Orleans Police Department is investigating two violent homicides. One victim is a small time gambler in debt for big bucks to Jimmy Legere. Charlotte believes the criminal boss is the culprit. But before she can enter his grand mansion, she is confronted by Max Savoie, the personal bodyguard of Mr. Legere. Max and Charlotte have history. He often trades words with Charlotte and she enjoys their encounters. But she is troubled by her attraction to an employee of such an evil man. But her suspicions can not be proved after her interview with Legere. Unfortunately, the interview frustrates her, she can’t think of any logical reason why Legere would have for murdering the two victims. Soon her investigation leads to Max being a prime suspect but Charlotte feels he can’t be the murderer. Conflicted by her emotions, how far will she bend the rules when being a cop is everything to her?

Ms. Gideon has a sharp wit which is shown in her characters’ snappy dialogue. I loved how her main characters have flaws and strong emotional baggage. This story is a high action novel that will keep you turning the pages! The romance is volatile between two polar opposites. One is a criminal and the other is a police officer.

However, I felt the author doesn’t make use of the current events. Hurricane Katrina is still relevant and I thought it strange that it was not mentioned in the back story. This book reminded me of the movie Fair Game with Cindy Crawford. Hot woman, hot man, lots of action, but if you had to ask me afterwards what and why they were running (the plot of the movie/book), I couldn’t tell you. Masked by Moonlight is like this. The grand scope of the plot was a mystery to me. Because of this I felt unsatisfied at the end of the novel.

But this is a trilogy. I give the author kudos for getting me so involved with the story. I really want to know how the characters will settled their issues. As it stands at the end of this book there is still a lot of strife pulling them apart and yet their desires pulling them together. I couldn’t see how the problem would be fixed. I can’t wait to find out what happens in their next book!

The suspense is gripping. There seems to be no way out of danger at any turn for the two characters. I am so glad there are more books following their journey to enjoy!

Reviewed by Jackie from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masked by Moonlight.