Pamela's Reviews > Blood Done Sign My Name: A True Story

Blood Done Sign My Name by Timothy B. Tyson

Jul 05, 10

Read from July 02 to 04, 2010

This is a very powerful and well written book that I am grateful to have read. This book really hit home for me due to the fact that I was born just a few years after the main event of this book and the fact that it took place in a small town in North Carolina. I grew up in a small town in North Carolina in which racism definitely still existed; however, I went to public school which was fully integrated. This book opened my eyes to the Civil Rights Movement and to the rampant racism and segregation that continued to exist after Brown vs. Board of Education in 1954. I do not remember being taught anything about the civil rights movement during history classes in school so this book was a history lesson for me. At the end of the book, the author describes his friend, Herman Bennett, who was a "big, dark-skinned fellow, charming and warm, if somewhat stormy and brooding at times, too." The author and Herman Bennett were in the doctoral program in American History at Duke during the early '90s. I was an undergrad at Duke in the early '90s. The author writes that he and Herman Bennett attempted to attend a Percy Sledge concert in Brow Summit, NC, (a small town north of Greensboro, NC). They were not allowed in the venue due to Bennett's color. This was in 1992-I was stunned. The author writes that this event prompted Bennett to reveal an earlier discrimination and tragedy in his life that is completely shocking.
I would definitely recommend this book. It was a learning experience for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Done Sign My Name.