Lisa (Harmonybites)'s Reviews > Tribute

Tribute by Nora Roberts

Jul 02, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, mystery, romance, suspense, ultimate-reading-list, popular-fiction, crime, fiction, novels
Recommended for: Romance Readers
read count: 1

The book listed for Roberts in the romance recommendation guide I was working through is Born in Fire, the first of a trilogy, which I'd tried before. I didn't care for it. The style struck me as clunky--I remember head-hopping among other stylistic nits that drove me crazy. The Irish characters also struck me as cliched stereotypes. However, Robert's not just a very well-regarded author in the genre (and prolific, almost 500 books) she's one of those that made it out of the genre ghetto into the mainstream bestseller ranks. So I tried her 2009 book, Tribute, which notably was written 15 years after Born in Fire and found it a much smoother, enjoyable read with a much cleaner style. A book with appealing characters--a strong heroine and non-jerky hero--that featured a page-turner mystery plot I can still remember a year later. (And how can I resist a hero with a dog named Spock?) I liked how the author worked in the details of the hero and heroine's professions--in her case, renovating houses, in his, creating graphic novels. Now, the book's not a keeper--not one of those with space on my bookshelves I consider a peak reading experience or would ever want to reread. But it was an enjoyable way to spend some hours.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tribute.