Kristine's Reviews > The Irresistible Henry House

The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald

2006797
Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: own, character-study, iffy, family, love-stories, historical, 2011, finished-quickly, psychological
Read from January 03 to 05, 2011

I finished this in about two days, and I couldn't tell you if I loved it or hated it. It was either really slow to pick up steam into a good book, or I was just stoned enough to believe it was by that point. In any case, even though I never grew to like any of the characters, I was still fascinated by the way they - especially Henry - changed as their lives filled the pages. So did I like it? Maybe. I can't tell. Maybe the book that I thought was just unimpressing was actually impressively, distractingly bad and inexplicably turned into a legitimately interesting book. Or maybe I'm just stoned.

UPDATE
On further reflection, I'm actually really annoyed that Henry changed so drastically re: his relationship with Peace. He had NO real motivation, and not a single character - Henry himself included - could be bothered to wonder why Henry's attitude changed so suddenly. Bah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Irresistible Henry House.

01/03/2011 page 102
24.0% "Okay.. A little girl just lost an eye. I don't know what to make of this book, still. Having trouble liking or relating to any of the characters. I'll give it another hundred pages or so just because I had such high hopes for it..."
01/05/2011 page 150
35.0% "Now he's mute. Really not loving this, still..."