Christine's Reviews > The Circle Trilogy

The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker

F_50x66
Feb 09, 11

Read in July, 2010

I just finished the first book, "Black" and it was fascinatingly weird. Whenever the main character falls asleep in one world - Denver, modern day - he wakes up in another - a "New Earth" with talking white bats and magical healing water. At first, he couldn't quite figure out which one was the dream world, and which one was the reality - then it turned out they were connected.

You really have to suspend belief to buy into this story. If you're the type who would say, "That would never happen in real life!", then this is definitely not the series for you. And at times, it can be difficult not to scoff, as the alternate world often goes way overboard with the fantasy element. You're also constantly thrown back into modern-day, which makes it all the harder to lose yourself in the Colored Forest. But, if you can suspend belief, you'll be rewarded with a tale that is suspenseful, engaging, and addictive, especially as you get towards the end. And the last page of "Black" is a clap-your-hand-over-your-mouth cliffhanger - you'll be really, really glad you can run out and get the next book right away!

UPDATE: Well, I started reading the second one, got about halfway through, and completely lost interest. I think the fantasy world was just so far out there it lost me. I think this would have been a great thriller on its own without the alternate reality element, but I really don't have any desire to pick it back up again. Ah, well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circle Trilogy.