Rosanne's Reviews > Secrets of Eden

Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian

Jul 03, 10

Read from July 02 to 03, 2010

I would have to say that I am a pretty big fan of Chris Bohjalian having read several of his books. Secrets of Eden was well written and easy to read, however, I found the story line extremely depressing. The story is about a family living in Haverhill, Vt and in the parish of Stephen Drew the pastor there. The family is a dysfunctional family as Dad is an alcoholic and wife beater. Thy have a 15 year old daughter, Katie who has grown up witnessing the abuse. This all in itself is depressing. The part that makes this book extremely depressing is the lengths that Bohjalian takes in writing (very descriptively) about acts of abuse, murder scenes and memories of abuse. This for me was way over the top and very unnecessary. While angels and the comfort of angels is meant to play a big role in the story, for me, they were completely overshadowed by brutality.

Though I won’t reveal the ending here, I did come to the correct conclusion fairly easily another surprise for me since in Bohjalian’s other books the ending was never obvious.

I probably won’t recommend this book to anyone, even previous readers of his stories. I would not want anyone else subjected to the tasteless accounting of the story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of Eden.

07/02/2010 page 200