Goldenwattle's Reviews > The Genius Factory: Unravelling the Mystery of the Nobel Prize Sperm Bank

The Genius Factory by David Plotz

Jul 02, 2010

liked it
Read in July, 2010

Although this book appears well researched and the subject seriously treated, there is an underlying inference that the clinic's ideals were a bit of a joke. "Great delusions" "The strange experiment" "The Nobel sperm bank may not have met the world's expectations." (These are just a quick selection from the final pages.) But then, according to the book's own admittance, before this sperm bank existed, choice was limited - eye colour if you were lucky. After the Nobel sperm bank came into existence, other clinics released more information on donors and provided greater choice. Somehow, the book infers the Nobel sperm bank's ideas were suspect. But what is wrong with trying to select the best sperm. One can argue with the definition of what is best, but I don't think you can argue with the idea. But this book seems to infer just that.
I was disappointed that no controlled scientific tests were done on the offspring to see if they were brighter or just average in IQ. I accept that might have been difficult to arrange, but it would have been interesting.
It was said that some parents might not have told their children they were from donor sperm. I find that parental attitude immoral. It should be illegal to lie to someone about their origins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Genius Factory.