Hannah's Reviews > Runemarks

Runemarks by Joanne Harris

Jul 16, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from July 01 to 15, 2010

In the town of Malbry, Maddy stands alone as the one person who won’t conform to the new religion and whom everyone fears or dislikes. She likes stories and dreams, but the biggest difference between her and the people of the town is that she has a runemark on her hand. Runemarks mean trouble to the towns people. Maddie has grown up dealing with the goblins that get into wine cellars and other such problems and always these and other disasters are blamed on her. Her only friend is a traveler that comes through town once a year (never later than her birthday), his name is one-eye and he has a runemark too. One-eye has been her mentor and confidant as she has grown. This year however, One-eye shows up late to town and sends Maddy into Red Horse Hill to find something for him. Inside the hill she meets the god Loki and uncovers the Whisperer. This starts a chain of events that brings about death, destruction, snakes, and the fulfillment of prophecy.

If you are not into the Norse Gods this book may be a bit tiresome or confusing, but if you like books about the Gods then this one is fun and interesting. The ending left me with far too many questions, but it’s a fun one (in the book it even shows you the Rune symbols). I would have liked to know more about Sugar-and-sack, the goblin that Maddie names. I don’t care for the whisperer, but I thought there could have been more character detail and less talking about nothing that is important, itjust brings up more questions. Over all it was good, but long. It left it open for a sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runemarks.