Jules's Reviews > The Mermaid's Pendant

The Mermaid's Pendant by LeAnn Neal Reilly

Jul 01, 10

bookshelves: blog-tour, sent-4-review, gift-worthy, reviewed

**I have tried to write this without any spoilers, but it has proven to be a tough task and I apologize if anyone feels I've let too much slip out.

I have always been a fan of the original tale of The Little Mermaid. It's a little grittier and "real" than the beloved Disney take on the story. It is darker, based more on the theme of love lost and sacrifice than of the happily-ever-after everyone associates with the title nowadays. This wonderful modern and updated version is closer to that first telling of the classic story.

I must admit that I really didn't care for John in the beginning. I thought he was full of himself, selfish, and promiscuous. He was technically cheating on two women for a while. Not my kind of man. I did warm up to him eventually. Especially when he gets caught up in a web of deceit that really wasn't his doing. I almost felt sorry for him, not quite though. I tend to be hard nosed when it comes to infidelity issues. But what counts, is that I did like him when it came down to it.

I loved Tamarind! She was fresh and quite funny without meaning to be. It was nice seeing our jaded world through her innocent eyes. The author did a lovely job of showing her naivete and her strength at the same time. Her belief in humans and her loyalty was very sweet, if misguided and mostly undeserved. She is very straight-forward and unfortunately learns how devious and underhanded people can be. I loved the descriptions of her and her surroundings as well as her life as a mermaid.

There were several other characters who supported the story, both good and bad. With the evil outweighing the good, Tamarind and John had their work cut out for them. I loved that Tamarind found Valerie as a role-model and sort of guardian. Tamarind's faith in her teacher Ana turns out to be ill placed and she suffers for it. Tamarind's neighbor Lucy also helps teach the pair what it takes to make it in this life. She's a nice balance for John's ex, Zoe. I immediately detested her when she appeared on the scene. She's one of "those" type of women. All of these characters were well written and fleshed out quite nicely. They did what they were created to do in as much as you either loved them or hated them.

A very imaginative remake with a healthy dose of magic and reality, I highly recommend this book and I think it is another story that would be an outstanding choice for a book club selection. There are many points to ponder in this tale that can be applied to our own everyday lives. My copy has a great reading guide in the back that would spur some lively discussions. You can also download it HERE.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid's Pendant.