Ari's Reviews > Deadly, Unna?

Deadly, Unna? by Phillip Gwynne

2519179
Jul 18, 10

Read from July 01 to 18, 2010 — I own a copy

This book just moved too slowly for me. Also contrary to the description on the back of the book, this book did not talk much about the friendship between Dumby Red and Blacky. It talked more about the racial tensions between Aboriginals and white Australians, which is fine. I just had a hard time understanding the friendship between Blacky and Dumby Red, since it wasn't touched upon that much (they were odd friends). This is one of those books where it's hard for me to put a finger on why I didn't love this book exactly. I think it was a combination of the book moving too slowly and being annoyed with the main character. It was interesting because unlike books I've read set in the UK that are easy to understand based on context, this book was much more confusing. I had to look up what footy is because it sounded like soccer (or football) but they used their hands to tackle and grab the ball. However, I don't hold this against the book, but it did make it an even slower read because I wanted to be sure I understood what was going on.

Deadly Unna? isn't laugh out loud funny but there are many scenes that will leave you with an amused smile on your face. I would recommend it but especially to American readers, who may not have known about how Aboriginals are discriminated against (I certainly didn't know about it, some incidents are almost worse than things that occur in America!). I would also say it's a great book to introduce Americans to parts of Australian culture. I loved learning about footy and learning about Australian culture. Blacky's family is a riot (except for his father, grrr) while his friends are kind of annoying. I do intend on reading the sequel (Nukkin Ya) because I think it will touch even more upon racial issues in Australia. By the way, this book was made into a movie called Australian Rules.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly, Unna?.

07/01/2010 page 44

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edi (new)

Edi Campbell I"ve not heard of this one before. You like? How did you find it?

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari I'm really liking it, the Australian slang is a bit confusing but it's a lot of fun. Some gross guy stuff though ;) Justine sent it to me last summer and I'm ashamed to say that I'm just now reading it. She sent me a whole box of POC Australian reads.

message 3: by Edi (new)

Edi Campbell Yeah, I have a box for Doret I've been working on for a while.

Guy stuff is...challenging! I guess it makes us better women to attempt it! LOL

message 4: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari Ooo I'd be interested in what you recommend to her.

LOL agreed!

Matilda Rose Is how we talk really that hard to understand? Seems simple. Almost as simple as footy :)And really, there isn't that much racial discrimination in rural Australia. Certainly not where I live. It just doesn't matter. Nah, I guess I just can't imagine only glimpsing my country and culture through a mediocre book.

message 6: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari haha well I'm not familar with Australian culture at all, and the book is told from a teenage perspective so it's very slang-heavy. I would be just as lost reading a book filled with British-slang :)

Well it was my first glimpse and I'm eager to revist the country via literature (until I can visit). The book is from early 2000s so perhaps things have tapered off. But I have heard from Australian authors of color that there is a lot of subtle discrimination...but they may not have been talking only about rural Australia

I have read many a mediocre book about my culture and/or my country, I just move on =)