Lexie's Reviews > Parker's Price

Parker's Price by Ann Bruce

Jul 01, 2010

bookshelves: ebooks-owned-read

Its a little bit dishonest to say that Parker was for 'sale'. Dean more or less manipulated her into a position where if she refused too much she would look really bad (PR wise). The rest applies--and the cover is very pretty isn't it?

As most of you know I don't read contemporaries too often, but I've become intrigued by Carina Press--the digital off-shoot of Harlequin with Angela James as its editor. They have one of my favorite historical romance writers, Donna Lea Simpson, as one of theirs and a couple of their paranormal romance titles looked interesting enough for me to buy a whole bunch of them with my left over amazon GC. Parker's Price is the first one I've read and I'm not disappointed in the least.

The story is hot and sensual; Parker and Dean's alternating hot/frustrated relationship seductive as I read to see how Dean convinced Parker to succumb. Dean's a real alpha male and though I found his tactics a little high-handed, I couldn't really blame him because Parker was being pretty unreasonable. I didn't feel the tension of her dislike for Dean, for a past misdeed he supposedly did towards her sister, because he was all she thought about. She would begin strong, then falter amazingly fast. There was an extreme lack of communication between the two I think.

There was a sinister secondary plotline, involving Parker's apartment being vandalized and escalating from there. Who was behind it all was a twist, but I guessed it about halfway through (you can blame my love of procedural dramas and mystery shows for this) so the pay out was the reasoning. I'll go on the record as saying her ex Tyler is a scumball.

I enjoyed my foray into contemporary romance with this new publisher. As a bonus I found an author I really enjoy and will look forward to reading more by her!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parker's Price.

03/29/2016 marked as: read