Michelle Galo's Reviews > Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous!

Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman

Jul 01, 10

bookshelves: health, food, society
Read in July, 2010

This book is a bait-and-switch.

Disclaimer: I don't diet and I didn't pick up this book with any intention of following its advice. I was just curious what outrageous absurdities I'd find between its cover. Those are my biases, laid on the table. Too bad the authors couldn't do the same with theirs.

I found plenty of absurdity... but not the kind I expected.

This book isn't really about weight loss or health; it's about veganism. Considering how much space the authors devote to the horrors of factory farming, the perils of consuming dairy and meat (the health benefits of fish are ignored), and the entanglement of those industries with the USDA, it's odd that the book description makes absolutely NO mention of vegetarianism, much less veganism. Exactly what you'd expect from a deliberate bait-and-switch.

Even if you find yourself swayed by the relentless shock-and-disgust tactics (which, as a former vegan, I recognize all too well), you've got to be kidding yourself if you think the authors have your health and well-being in mind. I'm not going to complain about their swearing, snarking, and name-calling, because that's one area in which the book's marketing matches its message, and if you didn't expect that kind of attitude from the title alone, you have bigger problems than you think you have. But you can't seriously think these women are about your health when they glibly proclaim: "Healthy = skinny. Unhealthy = fat." I'm not making an inference. That's a direct quote.

It's not terribly healthy for thin people to keep pretending that thin automatically equals healthy.

I'm the kind of person who finds the tone of this book funny at times, and I did get a kick out of the chapter that decimated the Atkins diet, but humor does not good science make. I don't trust the government to tell me what to eat any more than these women do, but neither do I trust their PETA-style propaganda.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny Bitch.