McKenzie's Reviews > Forest Born

Forest Born by Shannon Hale

Jul 01, 10

When I first started this book, I thought I wasn't going to be able to make it through. The writing style seemed choppy, but it grew on me. This book wasn't a slow read at all, but it seemed to take me forever. It was probably because school's starting up and all that. Anyways, I really enjoyed this book. Although it's part of a series, each book can be read as a stand alone, which I really enjoy. Based on Forest Born, I plan on reading the other Books of Bayern.

Forest Born was magical. The inside jacket says "a little dose of magic" but seriously, the entire book pretty much revolves around magic and its consequences. The form of magic in this book was so unique and creative that I was yearning to know more. The magic described was so interesting and it seemed to be incredibly useful. I wish I had some of the powers described, and I know most readers will fall in love with the new style as well. The story progressed quickly; the pace was just right. There was a ton of action, a hint of romance, and lots of family values.

The characters in Forest Born were amazing. You could connect with each and every one of them. The majority seemed like such good, honest people that you would love to know in real life. Connecting with them was easy, and there was such a wide variety of personalities that I believe most people will be able to see a bit of themselves in at least one character. I personally connected with Enna.

Overall: Forest Born featured captivating magic, a bit of adorable romance, and plenty of good messages about family.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forest Born.