Lisa Collibee's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Jul 01, 2010

I truly enjoyed this book. It was edgy. I can see how it might provoke controversy, but it's germane and deals with issues facing way too many young adults in a responsibly manner. I loved the first person narration. Melinda's quirky character is real and raw. We hear what she thinks even though she has spoken very little in the past year. The observations and perceptions that she reveals definitely let the reader know how she feels and where she stands. It is a trajic story that has a triumphant ending. It sends the message that you can and will survive your darkest hours. Melinda's world is full of pain and angst. Everyone at school despises her, even her closest friends have turned their backs on her. The new, "doesn't quite fit in girl" that she has just befriended has turned against her. Some of Melinda's teachers seem to have targeted her as a trouble aker. Her parents have their own marital issues and just don't seem to understand or care.But....Melinda has one person who encourages her to search her soul and express herself, her quirky, school board detesting, rebellious Art teacher. I would definitely recommend this book to eighth and ninth graders!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.