erin's Reviews > His Dark Materials Trilogy: Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass

His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman

Jan 17, 08

Recommended for: Tolkien-readers
Read in January, 2008

I truly enjoyed these books, racing through them to capture the story and maybe to absorb the larger themes and metaphors. In particular, I liked how the story and its complexity continued to build throughout the books.

Admittedly, I was thinking that the books were building towards a climactic battle, similar to Tolkien's "Battle of the Pelennor Fields" (which we all know isn't the end of things). Quite simply put, that didn't happen at all, and was barely a blip in the storyline (and, so was the "death" of God - not at all what I was expecting). Rather, the story faithfully follows the main characters through to the very bittersweet ending.

I did read these books quickly; I'd like to go back and re-read them later - maybe to the kids when they're old enough - to make sure that I kept storylines and places and worlds where they were actually written. Maybe then, I'll pick up a companion book of critical essays about the books and the author and read it alongside.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Dark Materials Trilogy.