Susanne's Reviews > Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation

Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis

F_50x66
Jul 01, 10

Recommended for: anyone who really wants to understand the contstitution painlessly
Read in May, 2010, read count: 1

Takes six of the founding fathers and looks at events in their intwined lives that illuminate constitutional issues that still live today.

It gets down to the nitty gritty details in an interesting way. And you need those details not just the leftist or Glen Beckest generalizations about the times and persons. (I found out the importance of details when I took a course on the history of Greece -- full itself of secondary sources -- but so much better than the fluff on TV shows. Pictures may be worth 1000 words, but a few 10,000 word books are so much more informative than a 60 minute 5000 word history show.) Yeah you say, but some of us don't catch on as quick.

It starts just after the constitution was ratified, but flashes back to the issues the founders had to face and the politics that informed peoples' stands on them. I almost said crass politics, but that would have been redundant. It showed why slavery could not be ended in the 1790's. The union would have been desolved right then .. and no Lincoln and Federal Army and industrial might would have been there to save it.

One of the greatest books I have ever read. I would like to discuss it with others. It is that worth it!

I just happened to pick it up from my sister's bookshelf when in need of something, anything to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Founding Brothers.