Jacki's Reviews > Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume

1919428
Jul 02, 10

Read from July 01 to 02, 2010

Surprisingly I have never read this book, but when I stumbled upon the Birth Year Reading Challenge, this went to the top of my list. Having won the Young Reader's Choice Award in 1975, it was a shoe in.

What can you say, it was written by Judy Blume. It is bound to be good, if not great. Peter is a fourth grader, through and through. Blume's ability to capture children as themselves, and not seem like an adult writing a child, is astounding. She captures the simplicity of their thought process so amazingly well. There are no shades of gray, life is either triumphant or a terrible disappointment.

Peter's adventures, most often created by his brother Fudge, are simple and carefree for an adult, but I cannot wait to reread this with my 8 year old son who will truly understand the horrible drama with which Peter must live his life.

I recommend that everyone, especially parents, read this classic from our childhood. It is guaranteed to remind you of the kid still lurking inside.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.