Ellen's Reviews > Alias Grace

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

Jul 01, 10

I thought this book was really interesting. In Canada in 1843, Grace Marks, a 16 year old Irish immigrant working as a servant, was, along with a man who also worked in the same household, convicted of killing their employer along with his housemaid who was his mistress. They were both sentenced to death but Grace's sentence was commuted to life due to her youth and the fact that there was considerable disagreement as to whether she was a willing or forced accomplice. Although her accomplice swore it was all due to her, Grace told several different versions of what happened, ultimately claiming that she couldn't remember everything that happened that day which her attorney used to cause doubt as to her mental capacity.

Atwood retells her story introducing a fictional character, a young doctor who is studying the very new field of mental health, who tries to help Grace fully remember what happened in order to finally prove her innocence or guilt.

A fascinating story that no one will ever know the full truth of, and great period detail.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alias Grace.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steven I really liked this book when I read it. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. You are right, it was a fascinating story.