Sara's Reviews > The Blue Notebook

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine

Jul 03, 10

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from July 01 to 03, 2010

Pretty heartbreaking and graphic so don't approach this lightly.

Batuk's flights of fancy, ways of escape from the grim reality of her life, make this book special. They helped me feel as though I was getting to know her, the way I would sit with any kid and listen to them tell me the crazy things they talk about.

That said, I had a rough time with the extravagant grammar used throughout the book because though I think Batuk would have used that type of language if she knew it, I'm not convinced she would have known it. However, her creative and educated way of speaking made her fate even worse in a way; though no child would ever deserve to be sold into slavery, educated or no, creative or not.

I felt a little wary of the story of an impoverished girl in India sold into the sex trade being told by a white doctor, but I read this article and understood http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/article/...

It's horrible how prevalent this tragedy is and I'm happy that Dr. Levine took the opportunity to write a beautiful, poetic book in the voice of one sufferer. I hope Dr. Levine's dream of this book helping to end child prostitution and the sex slave trade will come true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Notebook.