Rosina Lippi's Reviews > The Forbidden Rose

The Forbidden Rose by Joanna Bourne

Jun 30, 10

bookshelves: fiction, reviewed-here
Read in June, 2010

I've reviewed Jo Bourne's novels before, and here again I am full of praise. Historical fiction is not easy to write. That is, it's harder to write than contemporary fiction, and she pulls it off beautifully.

We're in France, close to the end of the Reign of Terror. Everybody fears for their lives. Think Stalin, but not quite so grand a scale. We have the young woman, daughter of nobility, who has been busy smuggling aristos (as they are called so charmingly) out of France. We have the English spy who is looking for her father, but will take her on as a way to get to him.

I have to admit that I love this kind of hero -- a big man, gruff, clever, nothing pretty about him.

That's all I'm going to say about the plot, for fear of saying too much. I will say that the love story is a particularly good one.

It is not, however, a lighthearted novel. The time and place are far too grim for lighthearted, and it would have ruined the book to try to do it that way. You can't trivialize a tragedy of such proportions and get away with it. We do get a very happy ending, however.

So what's next, Jo?

(I know. I hate that question, too.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forbidden Rose.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Carolyn F. I love her books too. This is in my TBR stack. Great review.