Morgan F's Reviews > Pretty Little Liars

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

Jul 09, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, mystery, 2000s, series, goodreads-author, harperteen, multiple, read-2010, medium-sized, e-book
Read from June 30 to July 08, 2010

Okay, I'm hooked. I started watching the TV show when it first came out, and liked it well enough. So I decided to see how the book series would compare.

This book follows a former group of friends three years after their leader, Alison, went missing. Now they are getting mysterious text messages from a person known only as "A". "A" knows secrets only Alison knew and trust me, these girls have plenty of them. Despite being only 16, these girls have more skeletons in their closets than the cast of "Desperate Housewives". The girls have to confront secrets from their past while dealing with issues of their present.

I liked this book perhaps more than I'm willing to admit. Its a guilty pleasure read for sure. The girls are each different and have their own personalities. Aria is the "free spirit" who holds the secret of her dads affair, while trying to hide a tryst of her own. Emily is the demure jock who is questioning her sexuality and overall personality. Hanna is the new queen bee desperate to stay ahead. And Spencer is the competetive over-achiever who is fruitlessly trying to please her parents.

I liked all of the girls, despite their faults. But I did remain unattached from them through out the book. The plot is full of twists and turns and I have absolutely no idea what will happen next.

I'm not sure whether or not I like the TV show or book series more. While they obviously have similarities, they have their fair share of differences, and I think they might be going in different directions. So as of now, I like them both.

Next installment please!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Little Liars.

06/30/2010 page 8
3.0% "Some of the physical descriptions of the girls don't match up with their television counterparts. I don't know which to go with." 5 comments
07/01/2010 page 61
20.0% "Just so I remember, I am on Ch.5"
07/02/2010 page 97
32.0% "Ch.9. I wish I was a creepy intialed stalker. No, not really."
07/04/2010 page 133
44.0% "I wish I had a cave. And so I remember, I'm on Ch.13."
07/05/2010 page 184
61.0% "Ch. 21.
I had Muse stuck in my head the whole time I was reading it."
07/06/2010 page 216
71.0% "Ch.25. Boy, these girls know how to get lucky."
07/07/2010 page 235
77.0% "Ch. 28"

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 20: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Is t a bad thing that I'm actually liking this?

Morgan F I like it. In a kinda guilty pleasure way.

message 18: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Yup, that's where I was going.

message 17: by Nic (new)

Nic Will have to read this. Good review :)

message 16: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Awesome review! I need to get reading this soon.

message 15: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Great review. I need to read this too.

Morgan F Good. I'll think you guys will like it.

message 13: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke Good review Morgan! I'm starting this one... soon :o)

message 12: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I like Spencer the most for some odd reason, I don't know why.

Morgan F I like her too. She can hold her own.

♔Queenie♔ Got a secret can you keep it, swear this one you'll save.. I have it on my ipod (song and series) I Lve Pretty Little Liars! =] im so reading this XD

Morgan F Heehee, that song is always stuck in my head on Tuesday mornings!

♔Queenie♔ It gets in my head when i'm in my kitchen late at night (my kitchen is scary late at night >.< dont laugh at me) I cant wait till season 2 ^-^

Gmasood I love this book! I am not that much of a reader but, because of this book I want to read all of them. I can't get enough of them! I love the drama each girl has to face but, I also love the drama of who is -A and who killed Aly. Also, I love to watch the show as I am reading I picture the book in my mind so to see it come to life is so amazing! Lastly, I love to share the things that happened in the book with my friends.

Can't-Decide-On-A-Name hey my roleplay is:http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pret... if anyone is interested :)

Ella Good review! I love both the series and the books. I actually watched the TV series first. I didn't know that Pretty Little Liars was a series of books that turned into a TV series which is now on air. Furthermore, I heard that the killer in the show is going to be different than the books. Just one of the main reasons I started reading them. (sorry for my bad english ^_^)

Elissa I also starte watching the series first, then tried the books. I am hooked, they are awesome. I don't know ehich I like more. Can't wait to read the rest of the series!!!

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina I started watching the series first too didn't know it was a series of books until after . Not really one for chick lit books but love the t.v. series and am going to trust you on this . Crossing my fingers that when I get around to it they will be worth the read.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Luiz So do your recommend I read them? :)

message 1: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Yeah i was gonna ask that too:) since i watch the tv show, do you think its confusing and will ruin it if you read the books too?