Cara's Reviews > Somebody Everybody Listens To

Somebody Everybody Listens To by Suzanne Supplee

Jun 30, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, realistic-fiction
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Recommended for: True blue country fans
Read in June, 2010

I didn't know this about myself but I'm harsh on main characters. I want to like them within a few pages, and be rooting for them once the book starts. When I first cracked the book open I didn't take a liking to Retta quickly. It's not that I hated her or anything, but I guess I was kind of peeved. She seemed to think that her dream of becoming a country music star mattered more than other things, but once we see her go off to Nashville we get to know who Retta Lee Jones really is and why she deserves to be somebody everybody listens to.

The story starts off with Retta Lee Jones graduating from high school. She really isn't into it and just can't wait to get out of the small town of Starling, Tennesse and get a chance to become a country singer. At first it seems the dream is far from reach. The money she earns from working at the Bluebell diner goes towards things needed at her house, and not so much for her fund of getting to Nashville. Her dad has a bad back and the family needs all the help they can get. Somehow Retta finds a way to get to Nashville only to be confronted with problems attacking her from the start. She wonders is she really cut out to be a country music star?

It was fun to see that before every chapter the author put little bios of famous country singers. I'm not really into country music (more of late I am), but I do have friends who are so I did recognize some of the names and a handful of the songs mentioned in the book. I would imagine that true blue country fans would simply just gobble this book up. It gives the sense of why people gravitate towards this music and it's because it tells a story and the fans own the music in a way. I can't exactly explain it, but you'll find that in this book. Along the way Retta learns just how much she wants this. She ends up sleeping in her car many a night, washing her hair in sinks, going hungry, and the list goes on and on. Plenty of people help her along the way, from the sweet fatherly Ricky Dean to the stylish and smart Emerson.

The book also reveals things about her home life, and I was actually glad how things played out. Retta comes to realize how blind she was about things. The story is truly soulful and I did enjoy it. The later half of the book is what made me bump up my rating. Looking back I can see Retta had some growing up to do and that it was really ok that I didn't get her at first. It's like when you meet someone in the beginning you don't really know them, it takes time. It's a truly original story, but at the same time it's everybody's story. No matter who you are you take your home everywhere you go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somebody Everybody Listens To.

04/22/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tori (new)

Tori Awesome review, you're like a pro. :) I just don't think this is my type of book. :/ idk I hate country music. But music love is another thing... Do you think I should give it a try?

message 2: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash I really like it but I kinda like country so I'm not sure if you'd like it as much. They talk about country A LOT. I should write a review, but dumb Cara is always ahead of me!

message 3: by Tori (new)

Tori Yeah, dumb Cara! Ha. :)

message 4: by Cara (last edited Jun 28, 2013 12:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Ahem... I'm right HERE you guys! Thanks Tori;) I'm not a pro at all I just have practice now. Besides if you were talk to me about a book in person I don't sound so smart talking about it. I kind get into reviewer mode when I do write these. Hmm... it really could go either way. I can tell you this I wouldn't intially think it's something you would fall in love with easily but it's a fairly easy read and I liked the message it sent. It's easy to follow even if you don't know anything about country music.
Ash btw you just hatin' on my mad skills!

message 5: by Tori (new)

Tori I doubt that. :) Ash is sooo jealous. :D

message 6: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash No skills to be seen here. I am not!

message 7: by Tori (new)