Steph's Reviews > My Soul to Steal

My Soul to Steal by Rachel Vincent

2142019
Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: year-read-2011, author-웃, young-or-new-adult, series-ended, series-completed
Read on January 11, 2011

My Soul to Steal was another great addition to Soul Screamers. The series definitely has it's ups and downs for me. Somethings bug me - all the teenage angst mainly, but overall it's a good YA series about something we don't get elsewhere, bean shide.

I struggled throughout this one. At times I wanted to sit Kaylee down and have a "chat" with her. "Either love 'im or leave 'im. You're killin' the poor guy." While other times I wanted to support her. "Take your time, honey." She's not really given much of a chance to do either as Nash's not-really-ex Sabine shows up at school. Sabine is beyond messed up and determined to do whatever it takes to get Nash back.

[NOTE: Sabine is mentioned in Tod's novella, [book:Reaper|9680403]. It's not a necessary read, but offers up some insight into Tod and Nash's life pre-reaper.]

Alec is still living with Kaylee and her dad, having escaped Avari in My Soul to Keep. Although he appears to be 19, he's closer to 50, having spent 26 years in the Netherworld.

While Kaylee's struggle to forgive did, at times, drive me bloody mad, I found both her internal battle and Nash's to be what you'd expect based on what happened in the previous book. I will definitely continue with the series and have high hopes for more Tod in the future. He continues to be one of my favorite characters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More info provided by Rachel Vincent @ 8/3/10:

YOU WANT MY SOUL AND MY BOYFRIEND?

Trying to work things out with Nash—her maybe boyfriend—is hard enough for Kaylee Cavanaugh. She can’t just pretend nothing happened. But “complicated” doesn’t even begin to describe their relationship when his ex-girlfriend transfers to their school, determined to take Nash back.

See, Sabine isn’t just an ordinary girl. She’s a mara, the living personification of a nightmare. She can read people’s fears—and craft them into nightmares while her victims sleep. Feeding from human fear is how she survives.

And Sabine isn’t above scaring Kaylee and the entire school to death to get whatever—and whoever—she wants.

I DON’T THINK SO.

Disclaimer: this synopsis is just a teeny bit misleading. Sabine isn’t actually out for Kaylee’s soul. But other than that, it’s pretty accurate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Snippet provided by Rachel Vincent @ 7/9/10: "Nash and I were like the wreckage of two cars that had hit head-on. We were tangled up in each other so thoroughly that I could no longer tell which parts of us were him and which were me. We could probably never be truly untangled—not after what we’d been through together—but I had serious doubts we could ever really recapture what we’d had."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Steal.

01/10/2011
37.0% "Damn, Sabine's a bit wack, but just laid it out for Kaylee. Gotta say I'm struggling a bit with Kaylee's treatment of Nash. Yes, he was wrong. But, yes, part of it was her fault. He's struggling, trying to get "better" and she's not there to help him. Really makes me wonder what I'd do. Leave him and lick my wounds or work through it with him while he's fighting to heal too?"
01/10/2011
64.0% "Alec says "...kissing back is instinct. Unless the girl smells like a sewer or has tentacles feeling you up independently, a guy's first instinct is to kiss back. That's how it works. What's important is how long that kissing back lasted." LOL! Boys! So easy. ;)" 2 comments
01/11/2011
88.0% "Reaper with a cell phone! LOL!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Flooze Ooooo, nice quote!

Steph Right?! I am looking forward to that one. How'd ya end up liking book 3? On the "Hot for Tod" train? hehe :D

The Flooze I've BEEN on that train, darlin'. From the moment he arrived!

He's intrigued me from the start. I always have a yen for the bad boys. Plus, compared to Nash, he seems more genuine (despite all his snarky remarks and spying--maybe because of it!).

And now! As if I didn't prefer him enough already, he really stole the show with his actions in book three.

It was slow to start, but once the action picked up and Kaylee actually took notice of all the blatant clues, I was happier. I was impressed with how she handled herself at the end. Showed she has her head on straight. This quote above assures me that she won't be easily swayed from her convictions either. I really like that.

Did you get the vibe that Alec might be a new love interest for her? He said he'd been in the Netherworld for two or three decades yet looks like a kid--it's plausible that Kaylee and her dad may have to help him start over. He could be a fascinating addition, considering how much knowledge he must have about the other side!

Steph The Flooze (Michelle M.) wrote: "I've BEEN on that train, darlin'. From the moment he arrived!

LOL! I thought you'd mentioned that somewhere (one group or another), but wasn't sure. His spying is something I think I would do in his situation too. I think it shows his vulnerability in that he's alone, but still wanting to be a part of Kaylee and Nash's lives/going's on. I hope he gets a bigger part soon. His actions in #3 were AWESOME!

I was SO glad that Kaylee responded the way she did and yeah, she was REALLY slow catching on. But, sometimes it's hard to know if that's just b/c of how the author writes it ... do we know b/c we see the "whole" picture or is the character slow to see what's right there? In this case though, she saw (little things/differences with Nash) and brushed them off or ignored them completely. I guess that is true of most YA in love. You only want to believe the best and don't see or accept the facts in front of you. The quote was a definite YAY! for me in the same regard ... she'll try to deal, but won't be jumping right back with him, again, ignoring his actions.

I certainly felt like Alec will be playing a part in her/their lives after coming back with them. I wonder if he'll get involved with her BFF though instead of Kaylee? Tod with Kaylee? I'd like to "hear" his thoughts and feelings about her. I'm definitely interested to see what will happen now that Alec's there though.

The Flooze Boo. I wrote you a big response last night and it didn't stick! I thought Tod/Kaylee in book one, but once the Addy situation came to light I dismissed it...or at least figured it wouldn't happen any time soon.

I was completely afraid Nash would say the two of them had gone A LOT farther sexually while Avari was in residence. Not that it wasn't a terrible violation as it stood, but with how lewd he was with Emma's body, I feared the worst!

I think if Vincent hadn't kept using the word "cold" in conjunction with Nash, the clues wouldn't have been so obvious from the get-go.

One other thing that bothered me: The way Nash and Kaylee were throwing around blame and guilt trips. His addiction could rationalize his blaming Kaylee, but I didn't like it when Kaylee told Tod HE was responsible for exposing Nash to demon's breath. He unknowingly perpetuated it, but the initial exposure wasn't anyone's fault per se!

Steph Don't ya hate that (mystery post black holes) LOL! Thanks for the repost.

He was so sweet with Addy, yah? What a sad situation she was/is in.

Oh, me too! I would've been horrified in her position, as it stood and even more so if he'd gone further! And ick!

I don't agree with how Kaylee blamed Tod either. His part was definitely accidental/unintentional.

The Flooze The Addy situation is horrific. The poor girl. I wonder if she'll pop up again and how crazy she'll be next time we see her.

Steph Right?! The whole burning thing. Ik! Poor baby. I hope we see her again. It would be nice if Tod or anyone would be able to help her. Even if it's just to send her off to her "final rest" or something.

The Flooze I was just thinking the same thing. Hey, if they eventually defeat Avari they could probably manage to set her free.

Steph I would think so, since he's in control of her (spirit/soul). Let's hope that she gets that peace.

message 11: by Ginamarie (new) - added it

Ginamarie Thanks for the short bit! I cant wait for this book! I dont think I have ever been worried over a couple I want to stay together in a book series like this one...

Steph Welcome, Ginamarie. :) Should be a good one.