Rose's Reviews > Plague Year

Plague Year by Jeff  Carlson

Jul 03, 10

bookshelves: dystopian-speculative-fiction, science-fiction
Read from June 30 to July 03, 2010

Interesting take on end-of-world genre using man-made nano-technology.

Our story begins in the after-math one year after the world as we know it has died off. People, animals, etc leaving only insects and reptiles to populate the earth. We learn about the world's end during our story in flashbacks to find that a man-made nano-technology had been accidentally released onto the world. It was being created to cure cancer and was not yet perfected, obviously. The only survivor's are the those who ran for the mountains and are living above 10,000 ft as the virus cannot live above that magic line. This is the story of how scientist and government work together or not, to bring this virus under control and create an anti-dote. I don't want to put in any spoilers, but sides are divided and chase begins.

I had extremely high hopes for this book since I love the post- apocalypic genre and this one seemed wholly unique and it is. I was offput by the writing style. I realize this is the author's first attempt and debut novel so I gave 3 stars rather than 2.5 which is what I think it deserves. It started out great, building characters and storyline, but parts of it were so clunky I found myself having to re-read parts over again just to be able to tell what it was I was reading. Needed to stay on-point with the people, dialogue and action and dived into alot of technological, science and jargons that were completely uninteresting and took much away from the tension and excitment from the story. Imagine a chase scene in a movie and you're all amped and excited, then the story stops to explain the scientific reasoning on how a car accelerates. Do you even care anymore about the scene. My other peeve was his characters. I found myself wanting to, but unable to really like them. This is an extremely important element for me. I need a connection. I almost find myself connecting with one of the main characters, Cam, and then not quite getting there. Ruth is annoying altogether.

I plan on reading the other 2 books Plague War and Plague Zone. I find that authors tend to find better footing as their stories build. However, if Plague War tends to get to be more of the same, I will drop the series and go onto better reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plague Year.

07/02/2010 page 187
62.0% "A real summertime page-turner! Like!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Thanks for the review, Rose. I think I'll skip this one unless your reviews of the later books change my mind.

Rose THanks Dave. Yes, it's pretty clunky but a first attempt. I feel the need to give him another chance.