Michele Breaux's Reviews > Burn

Burn by Nevada Barr

Jun 30, 10

bookshelves: mystery
Read in June, 2010

First, this disclaimer: I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher. My thanks to St. Martin's Press & goodreads!

I've been a Nevada Barr fan for a long while, and have read all of her books. I especially enjoy the ones set in the south, in locales I recognize; this was another familiar location - New Orleans.

Usually Anna Pigeon is found out in the wilderness somewhere pursuing her job as a park ranger. This time out she is loosely attached to New Orleans Jazz NHP, while continuing to recover from some trying times. It is a treat to see Anna in a different sort of setting. This is post-Katrina New Orleans - a city getting back on track but still overrun with abandoned buildings. Tourists are milling around flirting with Bourbon Street's dark and seamy side, and the local color includes voodooiennes, strippers, street punks and gangs.

Anna finds the city just as dangerous as any isolated wilderness, and as usual people are the most dangerous animal of all. This is one of the darker Anna Pigeon stories, but fans will not be disappointed by the multilayered story and intriguing characters.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn.