Myles's Reviews > Blair's Nightmare

Blair's Nightmare by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Sep 28, 11

bookshelves: kids-stuff
Read from September 27 to 28, 2011

Blair gets used more for creepy village-of-the-damned prescience in this outing, which is nice.

It's the end of the summer after they've returned from Italy (the 'famous' kidnapping isn't referred to, it really is best forgotten) and David and co. have been trying to convince their parents to let them have another pet, to no avail.

David is still our narrator, but Snyder has given him something interesting to think about, that is, a bully. But there's more going on: Amanda's become even more boy crazy ("ye gods"), Janie's convinced she's going to capture the escaped convicts rumored to be in the area and Blair's disattachment from reality is causing trouble at school, a problem only exacerbated (I almost wrote, exasperated...there's probably a review where I did write that) by his new story about a new dog he can only see at night.

Though not as good as The Headless Cupid, this book at least works unlike the tepid The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Case because the characters are allowed to express themselves, particularly the interactions between David and Pete, his erstwhile bully.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blair's Nightmare.

09/27/2011 page 38