Hali Sowle's Reviews > In the Courts of the Crimson Kings

In the Courts of the Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling

Jul 07, 10

bookshelves: s-m-stirling, science-fiction, series, venus, mars, interstellar, intrigue
Read in July, 2010

In the second book of what I think is a duology the action moves to Mars (where Binkis traveled at the end of The Sky People) to the court of the Crimson Kings and the intrigue of the martian people. The book starts slowly, at least the first half was slow to me as I kept on expecting more connection with the first book and the pacing seemed off, perhaps because of my expectations. Where the Sky People was almost all action and the intrigue was the underlying story, this book was more about the intrigue between the martian people and the jockeying for the Throne and the action takes a necessary secondary role in the beginning. Overall a good read, Stirling paints the Martians as much more cerebral and unemotional than his Venusians contrasting the two cultures (species?) and their technology is quite different and well explained and serves as the backbone for the whole culture.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Courts of the Crimson Kings.