Keiki Hendrix's Reviews > Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice

Life, In Spite of Me by Kristen Jane Anderson

Jun 30, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction-christian
Read in June, 2010

"“If you have a teenager, if you remember your teenage years and all the sad angst that went with it, if you want to read of the redeeming work of your Savior in a young girls life, read this book.”

Depression and suicide are powerful deceptions of the enemy to lure those with the most potential, our youth, away from the gracious love of God. In Life, In Spite of Me, Kristen Jane Anderson tells of her struggle with these oppression thoughts and feelings and how it drove her to think it best to end her life.

As I read about the events that led up to this 17-year-old girl’s decision to end her life, I was captivated. Suffering the loss of several friends and her grandmother in the span of two years plus a sexual attack at such a young age, Kristen reveals her thoughts, her desperation, and her loss of hope.

But God.

Yes the story is tragic and the events described are almost unbearable to read especially from a first person stance, but the power of God to cleanse, restore and instill vision in this young life far outweigh the devastating events.

CS Lewis once said “The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not.” I’ve come to believe that even though the person afflicted does not understand (as Job did) what is happening to them or why, there is always purpose in pain for a child of God. This, plus the knowledge of James 1:3 brings meaning and comfort.

If you would peek inside the mind of a suffering teenager, if you would care to know what they truly believe, think and feel – read this book. You will be moved by this story. God’s stories are always moving. Use Kristen’s story to offer hope and a witness to those suffering around you.

I recommend this book highly and suggest it be read by all youth or young adult ministry workers.

Disclaimer:
The review copy of this book was provided free of charge by the authors representative and was donated to the Youth Ministry of Westwood Baptist Church.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, In Spite of Me.